View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 07:07 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Hm, I see lots of people have made videos on how to find a cap's outside foil, but more importantly the video I saw a while ago shows that many with a band end have been marked incorrectly. I had to dig a little but I got it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnR_DLd1PDI

This fellow mentions that one should be fine using a digital storage oscilloscope that goes down to 5mV per division but he demonstrates with an old Tektronix 547 so my BK Precision 1479A should work just fine for this application.
It finally occurred to me yesterday that the circuit in this video is far more complex than it needs to be. A double-pole, double-throw momentary rocker switch and the ultimate computer (Star Trek reference unintentional) - you know, the one above our shoulders - is all that is needed.

On a side note, I'm wondering how the heck I can make a scan of a dial scale that's nothing more than white lettering on glass. I would have to take it to a print shop because it's too big for a flatbed scanner and it has to sit perfectly flat. I'm wondering if even they would know how to make a scan of such a thing.
Audiokarma