View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 06:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cogley View Post
Let's bring back institutionalized racism, all sorts of class warfare, the HUAC and blacklists, constantly teetering on the edge of world annihilation, etc. Yay!
Sam,
No one here said anything remotely like that!,obviously that's not what I meant.
There have been and always will be problems as long as mankind exists,no society is perfect.

My remarks were regarding the positive aspects of that society,the film,products,music,art and literature were all on a very high level.
We expected more of ourselves.there is a reason it was termed "the greatest generation".

I agree,people should be judged by their character,not color.

That being said,sadly many of the things you mention,racism,class warfare,etc still continue unabated and in many cases much greater than ever.

The racism is much more open,there are "hate crimes" all the time- blacks and mexicans are having open warfare against one another in L.A.Schools,then there is the "la raza" group which are basically the Hispanic version of the kkk openly voicing their hate for "whitie",I see "brown pride" stickers on cars fairly often...how come this isn't racist? Then of course theres skinheads, and militant blacks etc,nothings changed,its only worse,so let's not whitewash the present and act like we've got racism licked...all you have to do is be the wrong color and accidentally drive through south central L.A. (as some tourists did) and you'll be on the 10 o'clock news.

The movie "Falling Down" depicts modern society pretty well.

Society has changed drastically for the worse,people are very short tempered and violent nowadays,you can easily be shot over something as simple as a lane change...things like this didn't happen in the 1950's.

The class warfare is also still going on same as ever,and as for war...well were all aware of the sept. 11th attacks and the ongoing war in the middle east and the continued threat of another act of terrorism.

How is any of this an improvement??

Society,tv,music and products were better in the 50's and early 60's,that's all I meant.

anyway,we now return you to our regularly scheduled program....

Last edited by GeorgeJetson; 01-01-2011 at 10:33 PM.