View Single Post
Old 06-04-2022, 12:32 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1210 View Post
Yeah, it's pretty nice. Of course some of it is not real wood, it's mostly that photo finish laminate that was popular back then. But it does look good in the room.
That photofinish stuff looks nice, but it won't take much abuse. Also, if the cement which holds it to the wood it is attached to dries out or otherwise fails, the material will detach itself and, again, become all too easy to literally tear off. This very thing has happened to the photofinish on my desk; in fact, some of it has been irreparably scratched when my cat runs across the desk itself. The desk looks bad now, but there is nothing I can do about it, although I have been able to replace some of the damaged finish with wood-grain shelf paper.

I don't know when your Zenith stereo was made, but if it was made in the '70s or '80s (I would guess the former, in the latter part of the decade, but it could have been made in the '80s, as I am about to explain), the "finish" was all but certainly that photofinish stuff, which as you said was becoming extremely popular by that time, and is still being used to this day.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.