View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 11:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Yeah, well you're missing out on a great opportunity, because most of these Flat Pamel TVs only have a few capacitors that are bad in the power supplies that is why they quit working and once you replace the crappy poor quality caps with high quality Nichicon caps these TVs will last quite a while.
SOMETIMES it is that way...but OTHER times--there is a bad signal board, bad tab bond on the panel, bad ccfl tubes/Led's in the BL, or cracked panel you CANNOT see--till the BL is on..

I should know...I still work on them regularly. I see a WHOLE Lot more serious problems in only a short time--than I EVER did with CRT type sets.

Recently...I had a mitsubishi 40 inch LCD set. It had a MINOR burn on the right side...barely visible.
Pretty sure I could have sold it that way..few people would notice and the "Mitsubishi name" alone would help it to sell. Had it sold for 150...UNTIL the SECOND problem made itself known. It would suddenly go to ALL BARS..one one side of the panel. If you twisted it JUST a bit...it would clear up. Bad tab bond....there was NOTHING I could do to fix it reliably...and I TRIED...believe me I tried !! But I just could not make it stable....so I ended up scrapping it and saved all boards and parts.

Today....I worked on a not real old LG 50" set. No raster--but run volts are ok. There is a quick "flash then nothing". tests proved at least one LED strip is bad. I just repaired a 47" LG set with the same exact problem.

Another set i recently fixed...a 32" 014 model Emerson (Funai) The SMPS was blown up. I was able to fix that...and THEN I had a good BL and menu...but nO signal would pass--nor could I get into the service menu. I had tog et another signal board--by the time i was done...I had over 50 in it..and can only get 100 MAX for it--even with a remote.

Another Proscan set has no BL. not getting any BL supply volts from SMPS.

Yet another 55' VIzio will not boot. Tried reset. No good. Will ned the signal board rebuilt...minimum of near 100 to get that done..

So...not NEARLY all of them are "just something simple like caps or connections. a FEW of them...but a LOT need parts--that often cost between 15 and 100..

Last edited by rca2000; 05-12-2016 at 11:35 PM. Reason: More info...