View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 02:28 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
Jeff-

My 92-inch picture is actually from a ceiling-mounted video projector with a pull-down screen comparable to what was used with home movie projectors in the old days. My "casual" TV watching is on a 46-inch flat-panel TV set that hangs on the wall, hidden by the big screen when I use it to watch movies and sports. This living room is quite small, in fact, 10 and a half by 11 and a half feet. If I had a bigger living room, I would get a bigger screen!
I remember the pull-down movie screens. We had one in our basement years ago; used it with a 35mm slide projector. I can't give you exact dimensions, but our screen was quite large and wasn't exactly easy to pull down when in use. The projector was an Argus "Automatic 540", though I didn't know then (back in the late '60s) and can't imagine now what was automatic about it; it did not have even a wired remote. I don't recall the make of the screen, although I'm sure it was one of the major makes of home-movie equipment of the time.

I didn't think about projection TV when I said, in my last post, that you would need a very large living room to accomodate a 92-inch flat panel. You probably get a better-quality picture anyway with a projector. I understand these projection TV systems can produce excellent pictures given a strong TV signal, although with today's digital TV any pixelation or dropouts will stand out like a sore thumb on a large projection screen. Fortunately, those bugs have been worked out of cable systems for the most part, and what goes into your projector from any modern cable hookup is almost certainly flawless high-definition.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.