View Single Post
Old 05-15-2021, 10:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
I've often wondered why ITV didn't use low band/band 1? I'm thinking the London area could have used channel 5 & the north of England reused channel 1 as used by BBC in London as was far enough away from London to avoid co-channel interference. The gap between channels 1 & 2 was quite big because the original channel 1 from Alexandria Palace was double sideband so would have hopefully avoided adjacent channel interference. I suspect the real reason is the BBC took the hump & blocked ITV from using low band/band 1 for political purposes...
There is no way you could have achieved national coverage with BBC and ITV using just the 5 channels in Band I. It was only just about possible for BBC, and they had to place a few relays in Band III. It's a compromise between coverage, co-channel interference and (to a lesser extent) adjacent channel problems.

Remember that in the UK the aim was true national coverage, not just a good signal in major cities with poor signals in many other areas. I think the aim was to cover 98%+ of households.

It will take some work to find the relevant BBC reportsfrom the 1950s and 1960s, but they will be online here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/search?Type=Publications