View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 08:28 PM
Technohippie

My kit came with no cabinet, which I understand was somewhat common with the home training courses. Apparently, many veterans enrolled in these courses, which were paid for by the GI Bill. The government would pay for the training course, the test gear, and the TV kit, but not a piece of furniture with no educational value. Lots of these sets ended up in built-in installations. Not sure exactly what I will end up doing with the set when finished with it, but I am considering a homebrew clear acrylic/polycarbonate cabinet to show off the guts.

Anyway, some progress has been made in the last week, beginning with the Video Output module. This board contains the RGB decoder IC, the 3 CRT cathode driver stages, and the 3 drive controls.

So far with this build, there have been very few issues with solderability of components. One of the exceptions was the 3 section drive potentiometer on this board. The wiper terminal of each section had acquired a thin layer of a dark tarnish that thoroughly resisted the action of soldering flux. A quick cleaning with a tiny wire wheel in a Dremel tool cleaned them right up, though.

Next up, the Chroma, 3.58 Oscillator, and AGC/Sync modules, along with a guest builder who helped out last weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vid Parts.jpg (69.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Resistors.jpg (105.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Caps.jpg (105.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg coils.jpg (105.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Video Output Board.jpg (97.3 KB, 63 views)