Thread: Ct-100
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 02:00 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Albrecht View Post
I've been hearing from some of you that defocusing on bright scenes is par for the course on these sets, so this experimentation with focus stability is perhaps really more about understanding the design limitations of the set, and not true restoration, I suppose.
I've had the same question/supposition and have observed that the blooming/focus problem occurs on modern video, whether cable or DVD, especially commercials and DVD menus. There is no CT-100 focus anomaly ever with vintage video DVDs that were originally generated with the TK-41 (early Laugh In, for example) or restored 3-strip Technicolor movies. It is my contention that the TK-40/41 and the CT-100 were designed in concert, one with, and for, the other. And that well may be why they can't handle today's dynamics.

If that's correct, it's similar to the copy protection blocks that appear on the CT-100 screen but not modern TVs. Designers blanked out retrace lines on the CT-100; how could they have imagined a need to blank brute copy-protection!

Pete