View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
...However, nothing performed as well as this old RS-Antennacraft antenna on UHF! I think it has to do with the folded or loop dipole UHF driven element used. That's the main visible difference between this and a similar sized Winegard that simply didn't have the signal strength. Antennacraft still sells antennas.
Ed, you're correct about that folded dipole. the single driven UHF element with the director array in front seems to work best for me too. The bowtie shape enhances its function.
I have a vintage Channel Master yagi (4257) that uses the same element.
House array 2009.jpg
This gets us 45 DT channels without moving the rotor. 30 from Philadelphia, which the antenna is aimed at. 15 more locals come in due to high signal strength. The amplifiers are located in the attic - in case they crap out in bad weather. needless to say I have no use for cable.

RS used to have a simple dipole for UHF on all its antennas, and it barely worked, all that changed when RS offered the folded dipole. Maybe CM's 1977 patent expired and Antennacraft started using it. BTW Antennacraft is made by Winegard.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 04-13-2012 at 07:44 AM.