View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 02:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

ViewSonic LCD Monitor Power Supply Issue

Anyone fix these before? I picked up one with known issues (VG2230WM) assuming it was PS related, and sure enough, I found bulging caps. I had some replacements on hand for the bulgers, but not for ALL the 'lytics on the board. The others weren't bulging and checked good for capacitance, though I don't have an ESR meter to check that. Needless to say, I'll be replacing all the caps after another mouser order.

But to the question: After replacing the caps, I plugged the monitor into my dim bulb tester for power-up. I got an initial start with a small box that said "No Signal" IIRC ( there was no computer hooked up at the time. But then the weirdness started. After about two seconds the once dim bulb began to brighten and the monitor shut down, to then go into another start-up sequence. This kept repeating.

So, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Was the DBT limiting too much (normal for monitors?) current causing the shutdown/repeat? Or, could there be some other component issue that could cause the shutdown? I had a 100W bulb in there, so I wouldn't think it was the DBT's fault, but this is my first monitor repair. I'm used to shutting off the power if I get a bright bulb in amp restores, but are flat panel LCD's a completely different beast when checking them?