View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Need some help on an 8TS30....

I've got this 8TS30 on the bench, and I should start by saying that this is the 2nd 8TS30 I've done, and about the 8th 630 chassis set....so I'm very familiar with them.....but I've run into an issue that I can't seem to get a handle on.

Started with a recap, and replaced the wirewound resistor and bad sections of the candohm in the metal box behind the transformer. Powered it up, got perfect sound but no HV. The only thing that I didn't check was the large wirewound in the HV cage. Sure enough, it was open. Now here's where things get interesting:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/r...ts-sams-54.pdf

Third page, illustrated about 10:00 to the 5V4 in the diagram, is R123....which was the open resistor. I replaced it, and variac'd it up. About 5 seconds after I hit the power at about 78 volts or so, R127B started arcing and smoking (shown on page 2, lower right). I replaced R127B with a Dale chassis mounted resistor of the correct resistance and wattage.

The first thing I thought of was that I wired the resistors incorrectly. I then stuck an untouched 8TS30 on the bench next to it, and traced out the wiring. Everything looks correct. Next, I pulled the chassis out of a restored 8TS30 to triple check my work. Again, everything I did is correct from what I can see.

Kind of at a loss as to how to proceed. Ideas/thoughts? I'm thinking there's another issue that this set has, as there's a lot of circuitry between R127B and R123....but since R123 comes right off the flyback, being open it wasn't engaging any of the HV.