View Single Post
Old 09-27-2016, 02:24 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post

My question is .Will these slower speed DVDs playback on other DVD players.
On my Toshiba all speeds are compatible with most other players (those that can handle DVD-R), but with 2 caveats: 1.) the disc has to be finalized first (a ~1minute process that makes it compatible with other players, but blocks the Toshiba from recording anymore on to it*), 2.) it has to be recorded in the correct mode...There is IIRC a video mode and a VR mode one is designed for using DVD-RW and Ram like a DVR and is not compatible with the finalization process, the other does not allow selective erasing and re-recording, but is compatible with finalization.

These procedures and their existence and function will vary with brand and model, thus it is essential you carefully RTFM for your player, and practice before relying on it...Whenever I would bring a new VCR or more modern recorder into the fold I always made test recordings, and ran it along side my older equipment for a while until I was comfortable with the controls/process, and confident it was reliable. Mistakes and failures are easier to laugh off if something else got a good recording.

*DVD-RWs can be erassed completely and re used after that.

I almost always use the 2 hour speed (longer if I'm squeezed for time, shorter if it is a really important program to me to have in max quality), and remove commercials...I get better recording economy that way than when I was using 6 hour tapes with no commercial skip circa 2010.

There are 2 ways I edit out commercials: 1.) live when I'm watching and recording a show I want in my archive, 2.) using the Panasonic DVR to capture it entirely live, then on DVR playback pause the toshiba's recording during commercials when dubbing from the panny DVR to the toshi DVD-R....I think I could do this with just the panny's internal DVR/DVD-R drives, but I don't use the DVD-R in the panny almost ever, and have been too lazy to learn when existent methods suffice...Maybe one day.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4