View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 12:18 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
Yes, Zeno is correct. FCC (Federal Communications Commission) rules state that station ID must be given at the top of the hour (a few minutes cushion is allowable).
Since the digital transition, many TV stations (at least the seven stations in my area near Cleveland) identify themselves at purely random times. I don't know how they can get away with that. The NBC affiliate in Cleveland, for example, often runs one program right after another, with no breaks and no station ID to be seen; the other two network affiliates do the same thing. However, the COZI TV subchannel on channel 3.3 does in fact identify itself fairly close to the top of every hour, using the parent station's callsign, DTV subchannel number and location. Unless the other network stations in Cleveland are showing their IDs in tiny type at the top of every hour in a corner of the picture, as I said, I don't see how they are getting away with going from one program directly to another. Could it be the FCC has approved some sort of automatic station ID system, in which the identification information is actually in the vertical blanking interval and so is invisible to the viewers?

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.