View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 06:43 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Wow Impressive that you were able to hold your drink! I've had more accidents on two wheels than I can count/remember... I only once went over the handle bars...I was riding through the subdivision I lived in in Florida. There was a house where the driveway had this stupid brick fence next to it the road was 4' down from the side walk and the top pillar of the wall was an 5-10" brick lump barely noticeable on my left side. I was riding my delsol beach cruiser ( a new bike built to resemble a 1930s/40s Springer bike) which is rather low slung...my left pedal was down as I was coasting and it caught that stupid brick lump...In such a way that it pedaled for me.... the mechanical action was such that I experienced an instant of infinite acceleration followed by an instant of infinite deceleration.... none of it was perceived by me...I was instantly waist over the handle bars feet off the pedals seeing lots of color noise in my vision and somehow managed to coast on the still upright bike about 10' before falling over....I had no clue what hit me but it hit Hard.... inspection revealed the left pedal was destroyed and then I figured it out from there.... the owners of the house were lucky they weren't home...I had recently paid around $300 of my own money to buy that bike new(I was around 14 years old then and that was a huge investment to me then), and I was going to demand they pay for the damages... It probably took 15 min for the color noise to subside.
Yeah, it was just an ordinary coffee shop cup with a flimsy plastic lid which did get dented as I recall.

I've had plenty of thrills, chills and spills on two wheels but those I mentioned were among the worst. Your accident sounds a bit like the Picard maneuver, only on a bike and a lot more painful. I reckon it knocked the wind out of you as well.

Around the time of the second bike accident I also managed to wreck a Power Wheels Jeep, something that probably rarely happens if ever. It was a non-working trash pick that a buddy and I took the drive train out of so it would free-wheel. I lost control on a somewhat steep grade but fortunately it veered left and slammed into a curb, throwing me into a bush. The accident bent the front axles, so the front wheels were facing away from each other. It could have been a lot worse though, I could have kept going straight and hit the curb at the end of the road, after which there was a big drop. That accident like many other things at the time aggravated my foot problem; I had corrective surgery in '98 and haven't had a problem since.