View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 01:02 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Accelerating to warp 9 in the Battle of Maxia? Instead of the "Picard Maneuver", I think you meant the "PIT Maneuver", didn't you?
No, I meant the Picard maneuver, although I used the term loosely. An instant of infinite acceleration followed by an instant of infinite deceleration and Tom not knowing what hit him sounds like the Stargazer and the Ferengi rolled into one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
You know I think you're right that did knock the wind out of me...

Your lucky to have had one of those power wheels vehicles...I knew someone that had one when I was really young and wanted one but never got one.

Your accident with that reminds me of the last time I rode my beach cruiser before I left it to rot in the shed. I live on a big hill so big that I keep treasures in the basement knowing that if the basement floods neighbors downhill will have water above the peaks of their rooves. That bike has no hand brakes or gear shift (which is how I like my bikes). I went down a private road (that runs against the back edge of my yard) down that hill and my chain (which is used to operate the brakes by pedaling backward) fell off...Not having the ability to turn parallel to the hill to stop thanks to the brush and coasting not being a good option since the hill ends at the lake 1 block down (and I had not been down that road before to know if it even went all the way down) I quickly chose the best option available before I gathered too much speed for it to be safe-ish. I coasted into the dry leaf filled ditch got close to a flexible sapling, grabbed it and jumped off the bike at the same time...The sapling buckled but slowed me some...Since I was still moving at a good clip I rolled up into a ball and rolled ~3 times before coming to rest (I let out a whoop my folks heard)...Aside from a few scratches a lot of adrenaline, and my shoe soles coming partially detached I was fine as was my bike...However, that Beach Cruiser has a habit of losing its chain so with how many big hills there are here I decided to stop riding it then and there.
I didn't have that trash-find Power Wheels Jeep for long, and it never moved under its own power for me, so it wasn't that great. I have a 3HP treadmill motor that needs brushes, I may use it to power some kind of go-kart of my own creation; time will tell.

I'm guessing that bike was a cheaply-made replica; I never had problems with coaster brakes.

I can appreciate the simplicity of bikes with coaster brakes and a single gear ratio, the downside is that they're a dog to pedal uphill. There are a lot of hills where I used to live, and although I swapped out my bike's original 2-speed crankset for a 3-speed, giving it a "granny low" if you will, I still couldn't take certain hills.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-25-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Audiokarma