View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 01:42 AM
<----Zenith C845

Lots yet to learn about DTV; remote problems

Thanks much for that explanation, Tom. I guess I have an awful lot to learn about digital TV, having grown up with NTSC analog CRT sets.

Your statement, however, that DTV pictures are separated into several pieces, transmitted, and then reassembled at the receiving end rang a bell in my head -- I probably read it somewhere online, in an article on DTV theory. I do know that DTV receivers rely heavily on computer technology, so that explanation makes sense. DTVs are about the only kinds of televisions that display a "Please Wait . . . " message for the first few seconds after they are first turned on (as my Insignia 19" FP does); that is probably to allow the set's microprocessor and other circuits to initialize before the picture appears.

BTW, I don't know if other brands of flat TVs do this, but my Insignia set will sometimes turn itself off and back on again within a second or so when I shut it off with my GE (Jasco Products) universal remote control. The set does not do this with its own remote. I checked Insignia's website, specifically the user community forum where owners post problems they are having with their sets. One of those posts did mention the turn-off problem when using universal remotes; the problem is caused by the remote actually sending two identical signals to the TV, to ensure that the set is turned off. However, since the remote IR (infrared) signal that turns the TV on is identical to the one that turns it off, the TV is actually getting two turn-on signals -- which is why it will switch on again after having been shut off with a universal controller. The solution is to point the remote away from the television as soon as the power button is pushed. This prevents the TV's remote sensor from receiving two power-off signals, and the set will power off and stay off.

This is a known problem with Insignia TVs, according to the website. I don't know why these sets only do this with universal remotes and not with the original; maybe slight differences in IR signals between universals and the set's own controller?

I would use my set's original remote 100 percent of the time if it were a universal remote, but it isn't. That is, it will operate the television, but not a VCR, DVD, cable box, etc. unless these devices are what are referred to in the TV's online manual as "HDMI-CEC" compatible. For this to work I'd need to connect my VCR and DVD to my FP TV via two HDMI cables, and the VCR and DVD would have to be HDMI-CEC compatible, which I am sure my VCR isn't -- it's far too old (manufactured by Panasonic in 2002). I'm not sure my DVD player meets the HDMI-CEC standard either; it may not, since it was made in 2005 by a Chinese electronics manufacturer (Changhong), which I had never heard of until I bought the unit to replace my CyberHome DVD three years later.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 03-02-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Audiokarma