View Single Post
Old 08-30-2015, 11:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Hope that you did not blow the 1L6... these tubes are scarce and expensive.

Since you found one section of the electrolytic to be bad, I would replace the other sections as well... if the "D" section of C-1 (200 uf) is shorted or is very leaky, excessive filament voltage would be applied to V-5 (3V4). C-39 (.1 uf) is also between the filament string and ground, and if shorted or very leaky, excessive filament voltage would be applied to V-5 (3V4), V-3 (second 1U4) and V-2 (1L6).

jr
I believe you hit the nail on the head in this statement. It's pretty much a list of what I have found bad minus the two .047mfd 600Vs. My original 1L6 was bad (low emissions) way before all of this. The set of tubes that I bought had the 1R5 which I haven't yet tested to see if I ruined it like the others.

I have so many radios that seem almost indestructible with little or no work it seems a bit strange that this Zenith is so riddled with bad caps and other problems (mostly related to caps). The chassis is clean enough to eat off of, but I know that doesn't mean much electrically except to me indicative that it was taken care of.