View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 03:42 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
My Freezer has the R134 refrigerant!
The Wood's brand was sold by Menards in the states.
The Sanyo compact fridges are made in Mexico.
They're starting to sell compact fridges at Wally world that use Peltier modules. Also, those fancy wine fridges with the glass door.
They take 24 hours to come down to proper temperature.
Last year I used an air conditioner I got for free just to survive the summer, what a hunk of junk, made in china of course. It used R410A which may have been slowly leaking out as it caused a weird smell in the closet when put away. I contacted a scrapper to come get it and left it at the curb for him. I got my Kenmore that September, pretty good savings there with the low demand. According to the model number prefix it was made by KeepRite. That one uses R22.

I hadn't heard of Peltier modules, I'll have to see just what they are. My freezer uses R12, it takes between 4 and 5 hours to cool down. A red light just below the amber power light stays illuminated until the unit has cooled.

Someone curbed a junky 2003 Whirlpool side-by-side fridge/freezer across the street. I took the cord, the tempered glass shelves, a coil of plastic hose and even the light bulbs, one of which I used to replace the one in our oven. The plastic shelf frames were a dog to separate from the glass and support brackets. I used one of those brackets on a music stand I modified for my mom so it will hold her iPad while she sits on the couch; now it just swings away whenever she wants to get up. I have the original height adjustment just snug enough to prevent it from moving involuntarily, and used a big washer from that fridge and a spring clip from the blower in another air conditioner to hold it at the proper height. I also used a 15-inch steel car rim that had been left by a dumpster for ballast and cut about 3 1/2 inches off the end of each leg so they sit just under the edges of the rim and allow it to sit closer to the floor. Finally, I have used one of the panes of glass as a mixing board for Bondo, it works quite well.

Last edited by Jon A.; 10-30-2018 at 03:47 PM.