View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 02:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'll be 60 in June and still have yet to buy a plat panel television. But I am looking now at them. I was struck by something the other day and it really made me think. We now live in a post picture tube (my preferred nomenclature) type television. That means as these years pass flyback transformers and picture tube technology someday will all be but forgotten to some future generation. I feel strongly about letting the current generations know about how things in the past were done. So many inventions by many individuals were done for tv to become a reality. I'm still amazed that we pull an invisible signal out of thin air and reassemble it by a device that gives us a sound, a picture, and to boot color. That has always amazed me. It's old hat now, but it really is miraculous if you think about it. Sorry for my rant, but new technology marches on at a pace we can't keep up with. When I worked at the tv shop in the '70's. We could still get a fair amount of parts to fix something that was twenty years old. That doesn't exist today. Today's technology might get forgotten due that we are wholly a throw away society. I hope future generations reverse that. When I finally buy my plat panel tv. I will know that it will have a limited life and then its over. That for me is sad. Thank you fellow tv nuts that keep this forum going with your interest in old technology. I am forever grateful. I'll see some of you at ETF for the first time this year.
Sony KV-1220U