Thread: Hk323p
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 09:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

XD CAM-

I would inspect both the head and CCU for evidence of leakage in electrolytics, charred components, blown fuses, etc. Don't apply power until these are corrected, if evident.

I would use a Variac on the CCU and monitor the voltages on the CCU power supply. Bring the Variac up very slowly. You may be able to reform the capacitors, or maybe not. Make sure the head is disconnected.

You should be able to connect a sync generator, waveform, and pix mon, and control panel, and see bars on the output. That confirms that the pulses are correct and that the encoder and power supply are working.

The head is trickier, as it is likely a switcher power supply. I have had success in reforming electrolytics in camera head supplies in RCA cameras using a Heath variable bench supply. Do this slowly with each main electrolytic in the camera head supply.

Check for any shorts on the rails.

At this point try applying camera head power. Note that the VF and lens can also create problems for the power supply.

If you are serious about restoring this best selling camera, consider replacing the electrolytics. When ABC was originating two soaps in NY not long ago with HK-377s, a maintenance person spent most of his time replacing electrolytics on these cameras, and they were a lot newer than the 323s.

Good luck.

JB