View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 10:44 PM
Collector of heavy things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Not an antique , but this Intel i5 machine I'm using is ten years old, in 2010 a ten year old PC was just about useless, but the obsolescence seems to have slowed down a bit.
Yeah, I've been known for 'nursing' older Macs along as long as I can. I made use of a Power Mac G5 tower until it was about 15 years old; surfing the 'net with a older PowerPC Mac takes some jiggery-pokery, but it served me well up until it developed an issue with one or more of the memory slots. In its place is a 11 year old Mac Mini with an Intel processor, and it should be useful for my needs for a long time to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube TV View Post
Still using both of these daily. Both circa 1994.

HP100LX palmtop MS-DOS 5.0

AST adavntage nb 486/33

Very nice! In addition to the Omnibook 300 shown earlier, I have a number of HP palmtops, including a few 200LXs (upgraded version of the 100LX), a 360LX (Windows CE, monochrome screen) and a 660LX (similar to the 360LX, but with a color screen). Here's a photo of one of my 200LXs next to the 360LX:

And for good measure, some side-by-side photos of the OmniBook 300 and one of my 200LXs, showing how similar they are design-wise:

Anyway, I have another old computer find to report, and once again, I managed to get a damn good deal by avoiding eBay. A pair of Apple IIes, a standard ('enhanced') model, as well as a later 'Platinum' version with a keypad. The latter has a special place in my heart, as one of my first experiences with a computer was when I started fourth grade in the early '90s, and discovered that the school's computer lab was stocked with Platinum IIes (plus a IIgs at the teacher's position, along with a IIc which briefly sat near one of the lab doors). We had a hand-me-down original IIe at home at the time, so I was able to put what I'd learned at home to good use at school, and vice-versa. Here are some photos of the pair (plus a DuoDisk dual 5.25" drive), which I picked up at a swapmeet for all of $50:

(some of the photos can be clicked on for an alternate view)

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors

Last edited by AdamAnt316; 09-26-2020 at 10:48 PM.