View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 12:13 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Great!
It will be very interesting to compare the new antenna to this baseline data. At least you have proven that you can get a few channels OTA, further experimentation is likely to improve results.

You might want to check 43 again, as there is one more sub-channel to be found there:
43.1 WUAB-HD
43.2 Bounce TV
43.3 This TV

PS: The VHF channels seem to be more difficult to receive in most areas. Many have filed with the FCC for power increases, or to move to UHF. WOIO has a construction permit for a 3X increase in power and more height, which should help.

http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...=0&facid=39746

Good luck,
jr
Thanks for the info on WOIO's proposed changes. A 3x power increase (the station now transmits 3.72kW effective radiated power [ERP], the same power level as when it initially signed on in mid-1985) and higher antennas will almost certainly improve reception throughout the station's coverage area, especially in near-fringe locations such as Fairport Harbor and points east to the Pennsylvania border. This station has had problems for years with poor reception in some areas west and east of Cleveland (mainly far east and west suburbs and outlying areas), but at that time, being a new station, it may not have been able to get authorization for power increases or antenna changes.

Why WOIO transmits on DTV channel ten is beyond me, since most TV stations now operate on UHF digital TV channels and there is already a Canadian station (CFPL in London, Ontario) on the same VHF channel; the possibilities for co-channel interference would seem to be too great. I would have thought WOIO would have been assigned a UHF DTV channel from the beginning. The station's UHF translator on channel 24 is no help to the Cleveland area, as it is intended to serve the Akron-Canton area which is some 30 miles southwest of Cleveland.

Thank you also for the information on WUAB's second subchannel, THIS-TV on 43.3. My cable carries this channel, so I have been aware of it for some time; however, I neglected to include it in my list of received stations using my haywired makeshift DTV antenna, probably due to an oversight on my part.

I just remembered that WOIO has done quite a bit of work already on its transmitter and antennas to address, and hopefully resolve, the reception problems I mentioned. I don't know if the info is still there (it's been some time since the modifications were made), but there was a notice on the station's website (www.19actionnews.com) to the effect that work was in fact underway at that time to increase the transmitter's ERP output (probably a new transmitter) and to raise the station's antennas, the end result being to put a stronger, better signal into the areas in which WOIO has had reports of poor or no reception since the DTV transition.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.