View Single Post
Old 08-22-2015, 10:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post

Unfortunately, they way to really fix things is to learn how it works, and fix it yourself.
You have to figure out how your system works, and then see if you can test things
to see if the evidence you have collected matches the description of how it works....
I have a surprise for you. The only reason I had a mechanic replace the fuel pump is because I couldn't physically lift the bed off my truck and do it myself. But thanks for giving me an excuse to brag about the work I have done on my truck over the last 4 years that I've owned it:

Lets see maybe I'll start with the drivers side fender replacement. As the attached pics show, I got a fender and wheel well from Parts Galore, painted them, and put them on myself.

Then maybe we can move on to my dashboard light mod, where I replaced the burnt out dashboard bulbs with blue LED's, then made diffusers out of a piece of translucent plastic I cut off a tea jug to make the lighting more even across the gauge cluster.

Or the time, back when it had the last transmission, when I lost reverse gear, dropped the pan, changed the fluid and filter, and got reverse back, admittedly to my amazement. Later I had a NOS trans from a 95 Dakota put in.

Or the time my alternator went out, so I checked around and discovered that Chrysler has used that same basic alternator design for every truck and SUV they've made in the last 20+ years, so I went to Parts Galore, pulled a good one off a 2004 Durango, which was rated higher to boot, paid maybe $20 for it, put it in and haven't had a problem since.

Or something more recent, like discovering my floorpan was rusting out, removing the seats and carpeting, washing 20 years of dirt out of that carpeting, cleaning up the rust, then bondoing the holes and coating the area with 2 coats of primer and two coats of paint.

Oh I could go on and on. I have a lot of stories about that truck. The things I've discovered inside it, the near miracles I have achieved to keep it on the road. The repairs I have managed to accomplish by myself with little money. The times where if things gone just a bit differently, the truck would have caught fire...

Wow... typing all that brought back a lot of memories.

Oh and by the way you are completely wrong about how fuel gauges work. Your Dakota's fuel gauge is all electronic. There is no oil reserve in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120810_183117.jpg (54.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120818_150712.jpg (112.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120818_161952.jpg (101.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120819_115052.jpg (62.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20120813_143452.jpg (75.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by MRX37; 08-22-2015 at 10:53 PM.