View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 09:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Here's one of the nicer VM classroom record players from '71 that I recently picked up. This one has a microphone input, as well as seperate bass and treble controls. I don't know how the sound quality of this player will be until I restore it; but, the build quality is better than most other classroom record players. As you can see, this one uses a single play mechanism that's actually a stripped down record changer without the automatic parts. The tonearm is also nicer than what's on the average school record player and has an adjustable screw for tracking weight. The cartridge is an Astatic 89T soundflo; but, I don't know if it's original or not. I think some of the VM school record players used a light tracking Euphonics or Tetrad cartridge.

This thing will need the usual cleaning and relubrication; but, one thing I noticed is that the power switch is broken and I think that's a common VM problem for models made during this time period. The good news is that Gary Stork has these switches on an exchange basis for $15.

I have one just like it!
Mine also uses the 89T cartridge. The solid state amplifier sounds fairly good. It's probably an honest five watts or so.
IIRC, it has a 5X7 or 6X9 single speaker.
It's a lot better unit than the last unit you bought and wrote about!