View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
These changers expected regular use and servicing every 5 years. Zenith used BSR changers only because they could no longer get VM changers (the company's preferred brand, and they'd discontinued their belt/idler drive high end changer design)
Interesting, I never knew that before.
Anyways I had figured out what was wrong with it anyhow, it was a stopper that had seized up which the stopper was used in tandem with the power switch to help the tonearm gauge where it was supposed to go during the changer process along with the size switch, and since that stopper was seized up (dried up lube) it could no longer properly gauge where the tonearm was supposed to drop, so I relubed it with a little 3-in-1 oil and freed it up and now it works fine.

I am quite curious as to why you guys think that lithium grease shouldn't be used to relube a record changer/record player mechanism, because that's what one of the local repair shops near me uses on his repairs and he swears by that stuff, and in fact I have an old Dual 1215 turntable that I had overhauled with him and we used the lithium grease to relube the entire record player mechanism and it works just fine, no problems at all.