View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 09:30 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Back in the day when you could easily get 90V Photoflash batteries, we made our own cap tester - two 90v batteries, a VTVM, and a "pinch stand" - essentially a couple of Grayhill 020 component clips. Wired up in series with the VTVM, you could watch the cap charge up - proof it was good. Simple, elegant, and easy, but told you nothing about the value. The first one I built for myself was huge - all 9V batteries, formed up to make a 162V battery, and I just used a piece of copper clad to make two pads to "touch" the capacitor leads.

The Sencore testers aren't difficult to use - each "button" is dedicated, with no duality. I use the leakage test the most, but not for caps - suspect caps just get replaced - it's too easy to just replace the cap. Instead, I use the leakage feature to test neons, Nixie tubes (along with a 12K resistor...) and to measure high resistances like focus dividers and high-megohm (>75Meg) bleeders. It's good to about 3% or so, about what an analog megger would measure to.

The Sencore's low range is good for characterizing variable caps I've pulled from stuff over the years, and I'll admit I've used the ESR test to check a resistor or two. I prefer my Dick Smith tester for capacitor ESR measurements - with the Sencore I have to press a button while holding the leads, not cool when you've got a whole board of electros to check.

Again, I don't test film caps - I just replace them. Panasonic ECQ-E caps from Digi-key are(or were at the time) less than 15 cents each, and an entire set could be recapped for about 5 bucks or so. I don't use the yellow caps for any work - tried them, but one shorted (from new) cap swayed me back to the brand name stuff.

I do some SCR and Triac work, so the SCR250 seemed helpful, and I have all the parts already to build one. Pretty simple to use, and will augment my hobby SCR tester I built from a Popular Electronics article. It doesn't lie, but is limited...

Now to find a cap with a 15Kv, 2nsec transitiion and 4-second recharge.........rail gun, anyone?
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!