View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 04:51 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I reckon the scope connection would be good for remote tuning or determining frequencies. Could come in handy for getting one of my 6-rocker XL-100 remotes working properly with my Heathkit GR-2000. At least one frequency already matches what the Heathkit expects for the same function.
Or for finding bad cork/rubber damper pads in the rod-type remotes. Glue or pad dries out, the pad falls off, and gets in the way, detuning the remote. Saves having to open the remote if nothing is wrong with it.

Somewhere in my older Zenith service lit is another circuit for a remote tester and an ultrasonic signal generator, 1969 or 1970..

The Brits published a magazine called "Television" that had service info - they also published a project for a tester, both IR and ultrasonic. This was in late 1987 or so. I bought the issue in London when I was visiting. It used the mic and diode as inputs to a Schmitt trigger, squaring up things. A frequency discriminator was used in the ultrasonic side, and a dual LED in the IR side. Same issue had info about checking the IR remote oscillators with an AM radio (most resonator/oscillators operated at either 455Khz or 500KHz...). ..
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!