View Single Post
Old 02-18-2020, 12:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

When I was maybe 12 years old, in Jr. High, I worked in the shop that sold and serviced newly-Quasar TVs in our little town. I was a Quasar fanatic, in the way that only teenage boys can be. One summer we were driving up to Michigan for family vacation and had to pass through Chicago on our way. Looking at the map I realized that Franklin Park was nearby, and begged, pleaded, annoyed, and harangued my father until he agreed to try to visit.

He pulled over at a pay phone and called up the factory, explaining who we were, who I was, and that I wouldn't give up until we got to visit. I was hoping to at least come into the lobby, collect a few brochures, and get a picture or two.

We pulled up to what I believe was the building in the photos in the OP an hour later and a guy in a suit met us at the door. He introduced himself to me but I don't remember his name, sadly. Later he took us onto the factory floor, showed me the wave-soldering line, and some other assembly. I was beside myself. After the factory tour, we went into a showroom of sorts and he showed me the upcoming models. This was a huge deal (to me) because it was the year they switched from the SuperModule to the DynaModule, and introduced DynaColor with VIR. We had heard about these sets but hadn't seen them yet. I had SOOOO many questions: what if the VIR signal transmitted bad instructions? Would DynaColor step in and fix it? Did they switch to the (smaller, denser) DynaModule to keep repair shops from repairing the modules instead of swapping them? Why did ASS sound so bad? I think I about wore him out.

Anyway he spent about an hour with us, answered all of my questions, and sent me home with an as-yet-unseen brochure for the upcoming sets. I am sure I was the happiest 12-year-old on the planet that day. I really wish I remembered his name, I'd like to thank him again.