View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 06:46 PM
<----Zenith C845

Even though my C64 system is long gone (see my post on it earlier in this thread), I still have a Hewlett-Packard MX-70 CRT monitor sitting in my bedroom, unused. The monitor works, but the raster with no signal input has a bend in it, probably, even likely, due to failing capacitors. My main computer system (which I am writing this on) has an HP S-2031 20" flat-panel monitor, and the images on it look much, much better than even my MX-70 when the latter was new.

I still have my Win98 computer (IBM Aptiva), but it is stashed in my bedroom closet, unused and with nothing but the Windows 98 OS on the hard drive (I wiped it several months ago). Don't know why I'm keeping it, although it, like the MX-70 monitor, still works. Probably for sentimental reasons. By contrast to today's computer systems, which can be had for as little as $200, my IBM Aptiva system, not including the monitor and printer, cost me well over $1K when I bought it in late 1999. It came with a cheap CRT monitor that lasted me only about a year or so, then it quit; I replaced it with the HP MX-70.

I would not even think of using my old IBM Aptiva on today's Internet; that computer is much too slow (133 MHz processor speed, compared to my current PowerSpec box with its 2.23 GHz processor and just under 1 GB of RAM--that system can and will run rings around the IBM any ol' day in the year).

Note: PowerSpec is a house brand for PCs sold by MicroCenter, Columbus, Ohio.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 01-12-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Audiokarma