View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 05:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sorry if I confused with motor power: what I was getting at has nothing to do with that. The tone arm in a changer does not have the complete freedom of lateral movement like a fully manual turntable. There are mechanical connections under the changer base from the arm to various parts of the mechanism to trigger the various change functions. The result is the arm has more work to do than just track and play the groove and there's more resistance to lateral movement of the arm. The only force that moves the arm to the center of the record is provided by the needle being held in the groove. The resistance to lateral movement has to be overcome by more tracking force to hold the needle in the groove. Too little a force and the needle jumps out and won't track. The better changers (like your Dual) have more refined mechanisms and can go lower in tracking force. Do you know the tracking force of your Dual? I would suspect the changer in your Fleetwood would require a couple or three grams more to track successfully. Hope this didn't go on too long!!

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Audiokarma