Thread: Cooool!!
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Yes little kid.....We see this CONSTANTLY (And I love the "proof" pic....It's of the set with the "CONEHEADS" linearity issue)

Read JUST a little about my collection.....and I live alone in a little flat. I now have over eighty little micros in about four different parts of the flat. I have room to have maybe ONE nice "table" tube set some day. Every single unit works perfect....aside from a couple that are still current projects. I'm even limited in space when it comes to a workshop, so I do mostly rely on my own troubleshooting skills with a pretty minimal set of test equipement (and more than 30 years of playing with this stuff).

Do NOT have room for sets that are FURNITURE....because of the...ummm...FURNITURE in the place, and about $50,000 of old robotics projects (I'm one of the guys behind Sony's AIBO).

Your HAMFISTED troubleshooting skills likely leave a whole lot of dead gear laying around. I don't really have room for that. I did "hamfist" one POOR little Panasonic TR1010 enough times that it now sits in a little coffin that says "Kleenex" on both sides. I set it under the crucifix in the front room so maybe "someone else" may gimme a hand with it someday. I even went and quickly put a Buddha up there too...in case "he" might need some help :-P

If you DESPISE the solid state sets so much...then STAY OUT of the section put together just for us "smalls".

I saw your post elsewhere about the "burnt up" flyback. DO a proper ringtest on that before JUNKING yet another set. I have seen some pretty SORRY looking flybacks with windings showing and puddles of goo underneath 'em.....and yet the set still happily plays along with 25KV or so as measured under the cap. (A certain old Zenith console I saw just recently...but cannot have).

Last edited by AiboPet; 10-25-2012 at 12:47 PM.