View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I don't think that cap would cause a centering problem, but it might indeed be causing a smear, and I'd replace that cap anyway based on the ESR reading (assuming it isn't being read falsely in circuit). What I see in your photo, looks like a smear (bad cutoff). I see that the cap you mention, comes off a leg of the flyback called "video", so I'd assume that's feeding the luminance channel. Again, it's really tough to guess on these things, and if it's a centering issue (or a really really bad horizontal linearity strech), I'd be looking for trouble elsewhere. If it means anything, I don't remember ever having a horizontal linearity or centering problem on any Sony. The centering might either be a jumper plug, or a pot someplace on the sweep board, even though you see the markings and no adjustment nearby. Those boards were also used in color camera viewfinders, and in industrial monitors, so there were various configurations built. I wish I had the schematic handy, as I'd try to give better advice. It is somewhat possible that the consumer version has no adjustments for the centering, but if that's the case, you could probably still adjust it by changing the value of a resistor in the horizontal circuit, which would be nearly impossible without the schematic.

Charles

Last edited by kx250rider; 03-12-2012 at 11:28 AM.