View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 03:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalphen View Post
Hi David,

Wow! that is severe indeed, the first picture is really revealing.

Just a gut feeling, but i would say that the KV-4000 is not necessarily the culprit.
It is definitely the TV - Both of my KV-4000's do it.

Quote:
OK, let's talk about your video sources, the KV is being used as a monitor running from a DVD, correct?

You're using a baseband video signal not an RF channel 3-4 out from the DVD, correct?

I would switch sources: NTSC out from an ATSC box, cable box, a second DVD player. Does the banding occur on other sources?

Is the banding fixed, moving, linked to picture content?
Permanent or random?
These pictures were taken from an over the air broadcast with the TV tuned to channel VHF 12. The signal was from my DVR - freeze framed during the broadcast - I stopped it on a very bad frame and a perfect frame for the pictures. The banding came and went according to the image on screen. If I looped a portion of the video - the exact image would be shown each time without variation. It also does it with a DVD player on the video input too.

Quote:
Have an oscilloscope connected to the KV's video input simultaneously and set it up as a WFM display, look at the signal in both H and V scan rates, do the bands show up simultaneously on the Sony and the scope?
I do not have a scope - I do not do that much work to need one. Not necessary though - see below explanation.

Quote:
Have you tried the DVD player on another video monitor? - all OK?
Yes - it is perfect on all the other sets in my collection.

Quote:
When the banding occurs, if you turn down the Chroma to zero, is it still there?
Color, Tint, Brightness, Picture controls have no effect.

Quote:
Do you have an NTSC generator, have you tried it on the Sony?
Do not have one. Not necessary though - see below explanation.

Quote:
Try various signals with full black to white content: grey scale, convergence crosshatch. If the banding is related to luminance levels, video amp instability for instance, it could show up.

investigate silly causes: measure if there is a DC potential on the DVD's video out. One of mine did and it played havoc with my Broadcast routing switcher which is DC circuitry throughout. Inserting a big 470 Mfd Cap in the video feed solved the problem: crushed whites, smeary color & noise.

Keep us informed of the results of your tests.

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France
An accidental discovery:

The fact that these sets have a very large horizontal over-scan keeps bothering me. If you compare the same image on this set and a different model completely, you will see that the KV-4000 has a very stretched horizontal image - a lot is cut off on both sides. I keep thinking that the beam is getting reflected off the internal sides of the CRT.

I was previewing the TV guide built into my DVR to gauge the horizontal stretch. When the guide is displayed, the program content is reduced to a small window at the top right corner of the screen - I accidentally noticed that the image was perfect when it was reduced to this size. I watched 10 minutes of the program this way - no banding or flashing. I then rewound this same portion and watched it full screen - banding and flashing all over the place.

I am convinced that the problem will be eliminated if I can reduce the horizontal over-scan.

Last edited by crtfool; 06-25-2012 at 05:15 PM.