View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 10:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Okay if that's the original wire, shouldn't be much work to re connect it unless they butchered it. I mean I can get running new wire if you're putting in a high power stereo or want to add a subwoofer but why the hell would they run such thin gauge speaker wire?

Anyway I have a multimeter and a tone generator so today's gonna be fun...

EDIT: Right, so after thinking about it I decided to go with the wires that were already hooked up to the speakers. Reason being is I believe they were run for a reason. They weren't run for a high power system that's for sure. That makes me wonder if there was a fault with the original wiring, because whoever ran the new wires went through a fair bit if trouble to do it, so it wasn't just for shits and giggles.

That said I've soldered in new Chrysler stereo connectors and labeled the wires so I know where they run to. At some point I'll run my own 12 gauge wire, but for now the setup is working and a lot tidier.

The presumed old speaker wires, I folded the ends over and put heat shrink tubing on them. Solder and shrink tubing all around... now there is something else you might notice in this picture, near the lower right corner.

There's a switch there and it's wired to the two wires that I believe were for the ashtray light or something like that. Someone rigged up a switch and there's a long red wire that goes through the firewall to I don't know where yet. What could this possibly be for?

Also that white piece of extension cord? Yeah that's the 12 volt constant power for the stereo. Where does it go? Right to the positive terminal on my battery! Not fused or anything. Should probably look into that, but my stereo has a built in fuse so I'm probably safe.

Last edited by MRX37; 03-09-2016 at 03:40 PM.