View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 03:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice machines, Bill! I think I remember you posting about that Phonola being a real high fidelity player, instead of the "one tube wonder" that one might think at first glance, on ARF. One day, I hope to find one of those early Newcomb transcription players, as well as one of the maroon cased Newcomb R12 models. I thought I had a line on a maroon R12; but, the owner must have fallen off the face of the Earth. Oh well, there will be another one, I'm sure. And, my former sunday school teacher has one of those Edison diamond disc players in beautiful condition. Every time I see him, I jokingly ask him if he's about ready to give it to me.

I would like to find a picture of one of those old '30's springwound AFB talking book players so that I could see what the correct tonearm looks like. I can't believe someone took off the original and replaced it with some '50's kiddie player tonearm. I'm sure the cartridge was a high output crystal type fitted with a 1 mil. stylus and the headphones were driven directly from the cartridge output.
Audiokarma