View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 11:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

When I was a kid during the '80's, the main ones I remember being in circulation at the time were the models in a colored plastic case from the '70's. The beige one (A77) and green ones (A79) were most common around here. I think those stayed in production until the A1 (one I have pictured) came out. There's actually a couple of those plastic ones on ebay right now. The only solid state model that I'd like to find is the AE5. I think that was the first SS model and was in a large two-tone blue case.

I know a lady who lost her eyesight back in the '60's and she said she had one of the old wooden cased models and she kept it well into the plastic solid state era because she said she didn't care for the plastic models. She said that when records became obsolete, she tried to return it to the library; but, they told her that it was too old and for her to do as she pleased with it. Then, she was going to give it to me and couldn't find it (she probably tossed it and forgot doing so).

Someone told me that the two speed models actually used a 4 speed mechanism that had a plastic stop on the speed control lever, preventing the lever from being moved to the 45 or 78 positions. The person who was telling me this said the stop could be broken off with a pair of pliers and the machine would play the other two speeds.