View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 09:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
If you want to see madness, check out pricing on transferable Delaware black tag plates. The original single and two digit plates are $$$ beyond belief.

http://lowdigittags.com/29.html
The local (Delaware) classifieds always have tags for sale; 5 digits might set you back around a $1k, and things go up from there. All the auction houses have them for sale, too. It's seen as an investment by many. It used to be common for folks to get a premium for their older beater car by making you buy it in order to get its plate.

MD has been making regular changes in recent years, after years of rather plain black/white tags. You can get Historic plates at 20 years; poorly enforced & often abused. I even saw one guy running a trash hauling business with an older F-350, using those cheap plates. If the vehicle is over 50 years old you only have to pay registration once and you're good "forever".

One of the specialty tags is yellow and promotes agriculture with a picture of barn, etc. Oddly, I see lots of these on vehicles from Baltimore, from a certain demographic. I have a theory...that it's supposed to identify purveyors of a cash crop? Unproven. Maybe they just like the color.

I run original '51 tags on my shoebox Ford; you just have to keep the real tags in the car somewhere. A pain to have to deal with the DMV in order to use them.