View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 02:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
:And I'll second Tubejunke on the Zenith , I've got one of the "propeller dial" ones and it sounds really really good , way better than I expected it would when I first saw it .
I'm wondering if you are talking about one of these? There are several different models of these such as H725 and 7G01 to name 2. I think the design was fairly popular giving it a long run, so different electronic changes through the run gave way for different referencing. I have read somewhere that some models are preferred or better as far as performance.

I have owned at least one for a long time and I am always amazed at the sound quality. Almost every one I've seen works still. The bass response is incredible and you can crank up the volume on FM and not get distortion. Just a really well designed set. And mine is completely unrestored. so I wonder what its potential is with good caps. I may find out as I noticed the last time I used it that the sound would get slightly distorted after a half hour or more playing. That wouldn't be a tube most likely, so one of the paper caps (all?) is leaking badly or a resistor is changing value with heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l225.jpg (6.8 KB, 15 views)