View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 06:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Time to switch to DVD-R. I saw the writing on the wall when Walgreens VHS supply started getting spotty, and started running a DVD-R along side my VHS system...I want perfection in my recordings and I hate digital noise artifacts...When cable started using a lousy digital feed to their analog service that had worse digital artifacts than DVD I finally shelved VHS...Since if I can no longer tell the source of artifact from looking what is the difference.

I've had 100% recording success rate and recorded disc playability rate since learning the procedure in the manual of my Toshiba DVD recorder 5 years ago. The discs are cheaper than tape and you'll never get tape noise or drop outs again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Right now, I have enough VHS tapes to last a good while. I generally use them for recording a program, that I might not be able to see the finish of.
I save very few recordings, I make.
The last movie I recorded, was Bonnie and Clyde from PBS, no commercials.
I was surprised to see a movie like that shown on educational TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I have a DVR and DVD-RW for temp stuff I'll later record over....Only time I record on VHS anymore is when my DVR is full and I'm out of RWs, or when I want to timer record something so long that it's entirety will not fit on any one machine.

Some of my archived stuff may get VHS and S-VHS to S-VHS, DVD, and digital copy transfers in the future to better organize it, remove damaged copies of episodes and redundant copies of episodes....I'll keep an analog copy of the analog cable era stuff to preserve the original experience and digital for redundancy.

My VHS decks still get use as players, but at this point I can't find value in regular time-shifting/archiving of new material anymore.
I probably got to shaky it off and use the DVD .I agree with the clarity of DVD . No .As I said before.I dont like and trust that type of recording format.In a couple of years the discs will be coasters.Also Its limited to the 2 hour speed and cant time shift programs but I could try using the DVDram which can use like a DVR and slow it to 6 hour mode since I timeshift and archive some shows at SLP mode on VHS.I can deal with double backups of downloaded shows from the internet but some show are not or not the full show is available online.If every show that I like is available online.I will say screw VHS and let it go into the sunset like I did with cassettes.I cant remember when I recorded a full cassette of music.As said before .I would not mind a DVR with no strings attached to it.I can copy the shows and edit the ads out on to VHS.That would save tape without the ads.Again Hollywood got us by the nuts because they dont want us recording their content.