View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 09:29 AM
M is for Memory

If the repair was successful it may have as much as decades more time left on the fly, assuming temp and current can be kept under control.

Part of me wonders if the copper corrosion is natural. I know this example is a good 30 years older, but I've done ~3-4 Philco 60 chassis cathedral radios (2 more waiting in the wings) and 2-3 of their loss leader cousins the 80 chassis (2 of those waiting my bench also), and all but one of them (a 60 chassis) had either the antenna transformer, osc transformer or both with corroded open windings (and these windings have a coating besides the wire lacquer sealing?/holding them to the forms)...Only one had the problem in the lead-in, the rest were mid winding...Sometimes with multiple opens. The first ones I fixed in a similar fashion to what your tech did, the rest especially the ones with multiple opens I just rewound the ~<20 turns with phono pickup wire. All these sets were ones with good original cabinets, not barn dwellers, yet still were like that.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma