View Single Post
Old 02-07-2015, 07:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
The whether was warm and nice, and I was already outside variacing two new TVs I just got so I figured I'd do something between the periodic voltage increases.

Guess what I did?....

The Quad 8-track is in and working well. The thing sounds AWESOME!
It was relatively straight forward to do. All I had to do was remove two clips holding the black vent below, remove knobs and the nuts behind them, remove the rear angle bracket, unplug it, and then reverse the process.

Of course there were complications like not checking to make sure the nuts that were supposed to be flush with the face of the radio were actually flush, and loosing track of the cars power connector for the radio...Both of which made me uninstall it and reinstall it one time a piece...

I learned somethings along the way too. The original radio may not be original. It had it's power connector cut and re-spliced*, and some funky clips and three wires added to the radio's speaker harness.

Also I found a plug electrical taped to a vacuum hose that I have no idea where it came from(but you can bet your but I'll find out), and two light sockets hanging behind the radio (which I'll also have to look into).
That plug is near enough to the dead miles to empty gauge that it makes me wonder.

*With orange wire nuts....Hey Squirrel boy THOSE orange wire nuts you mentioned earlier were actually on the radio's power wires.

And here is the dealer 8-track tape I have.

Was the original radio a Philco product?
The Motorola built radios were a lot better. I think Motorola quit building OEM radios, around the mid 70's.