View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 07:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a View Post
After turning the power off I turned it back on quickly. 6E5 tube lit up. I know; not a good practice.
Oh I'm not gonna chide you for the quickie "one more time" test , lots of folks can't seem to resist that , but the fact that the PT still passed power along to it's secondary windings after being overloaded does not mean that the overloaded transformer wasn't damaged . When a PT gets too hot and begins baking off the enamel insulating the windings , those windings begin to successively short together and the transformer will never again pass anything close to it's rated current without overheating . If it was in fact the transformer that let out the magic smoke it's likely done for (well known for certain models of Zenith in those years with somewhat , er , underrated PTs) even though it still appeared functional after the incident .

You can HOPE it's still good , but till it's seen properly performing in real time operating conditions (like the repaired radio running an hour without the PT reaching Nuke plant temperatures) there is no automatic judgement of "the 6E5 lit so the PT is fine" .