View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 07:59 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Used to have a GV-500 many many years ago. Neat little toys, but they were a bear to keep aligned and happy, especially if you actually took them anywhere and used 'em. The GV-500 had a built-in tuner and was a 4" LCD...so it was actually quite handy and nice to carry on a trip and watch movies on or TV.

Back then...Columbia House actually had an 8mm version of their "club"...and I stuck around long enough to have like 15 "factory" movies on those little 8mm stereo tapes. I still have a few of 'em kicking around in different places of the house. I should get them all together in one place, because I still have one of these players.

I still have the newer one that is like a clamshell (S-50?)...and that one still runs like a champ. I got it with the intention of transfering some old tourist stuff to AVI files or something with a capture card and laptop. Of course I still have not done that.....like three years later :-P

The S-50 also has a tuner that plugs into the side of it, but mine does not work :-(

I'd LOVE to find just that little tuner pack some day and be able to put the little player in my micro-TV collection.

That GV-500 I used to have.....it lost it's backlight to the LCD, then later it would not sync playing tapes as an external deck. I had it in the car for some dumb reason one day...and someone reached in and just took it :-(