View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
And yes Eric.....ALOT of those sets end up with mismatched Wall-warts. If it's anything less than 12VDC and about 500ma...It'll come on but not be at all happy. I've bought plenty at swap meets and the like...that they just found some converter that simply fit the plug, and it's a 6V/200ma or something that would do almost EXACTLY that picture AFTER you fixed the cap. The plug is DEAD common, so REAL easy to end up with the wrong one if not careful.

Also, these tended to be plugged in and forgotten. The wall wart ends up between the wall and some BLANKETS next to someone's bed, etc. I bet ALOT of them melted or just died from heat. You see there isn't much to 'em. If that transformer gets hot and the windings start shorting because the insulation melts....it's toast, and you can't do much about it unless you feel like REWINDING the transformer :-P

Also watch for these to end up with "charger" wall warts. You end up with 12VDC at a kosher current rating....but it's REAL dirty because it was meant to charge NiCads in a cordless drill or something. It won't have the caps inside to take the ripple out. You end up with a set that comes on, but the picture is wavy and you get LOTS of 60hz buzz. I used to think the buzz was from this...but you will notice it changes frequency with the vertical.

I keep at least one "known good" wall wart on my bench JUST for these sets...so I won't mis-diagnose something because of the power supply. I obviously run across these sets WAY more often than you do, so I do sorta have a specific space set aside for working on these.

Last edited by AiboPet; 06-23-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Audiokarma