View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Convergence freak!

Tweaking a KV-40XBR800

First let me say that this set is a 318 pound beast! My uncle and I saved it from uncertain doom at the school warehouse recycle area. I have a good friend that works there And it's caught my eye a few times on my way to work. I have an 88 Chevy silver ado long bed extended can 4x4 that this puppy actually weighted it down. Anyway it works to say the least and surprisingly given the reliability of this model with its failing microprocessor that drives startup circuits. The CRT was a bit dim. A little outta focus and a hint red. So I popped open the service menu and tweaked it some to brighten it up. It produces a decent pic now. I had to use tilt correction at -7 maxed out to level the raster. The yoke probably needs a touch up but since I don't have to open it and remove a thousand screWs is all the better. Anyway I cranked up sub pic controls and drives to almost max. Factory is like a bit under half. But the pic was so so washed out. It looks great now but as like my other 40xbr800 I had a few years ago I did not have to fuss with the controls. My question is (and I should now this duh) how much of a strain does this put on the CRT? Not going to be a daily watcher. I know grid voltages go up with drive values increasing but does this really matter? I know the CRT is tired anyway. And being a 40" the geometry is not perfect but corrected as much as I can including focus touched up.