View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 04:17 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Wayne,

This is a problem with all 5 chassis, including the Deluxe ones unfortunately. The problem is the flyback, it's got a lot more primary resistance than other models. This means there's a practical limit to how much current the HOT is able to sink, which in turn limits how much HV can be made in the secondary (lower current primary pulses means lower amplitude flyback rectification in turn). I'm not sure why this was done, but it appears to be in the design and intentional. Perhaps the engineers wanted it to be 'safer' or something, we'll likely never know.

I have a few different flybacks I can try in my Wingate (CTC-4, CTC-28, CTC-15), but the problem is not getting more HV or a yoke inductance match from the swap- there are ways around both those problems. It's getting all the ancillary circuits to play well with the new transformer that's a big question. None of the tertiary windings that provide pulses to circuits like burst gating or AGC appear to be common across chassis to me, which makes the job of adapting them much harder. Some flybacks had positive going pulses, some negative. Some had very high amplitude AGC, some not. What I see is probably a matching/inverting network and possibly some slight phase shifting to make the new fly work. It won't be a plug in deal unfortunately.

BUT- the payoff would be a very nice chassis indeed. The deluxe sets had good circuits in them for color processing, they just had a wimpy horizontal output transformer. I'm going to give it a shot at some point, and I'm also going to try primary side pulse style HV regulation. It'll be like reengineering a complete section of the chassis.