View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 06:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Silvertone manumatic & Motorola portable record players

I picked up two more record player projects at the flea market today. One is a real oddball that I've never seen before. The first one is a Silvertone manumatic. This is a four speed record player where the 33 and 78 speeds are operated manually and the 16 and 45 speeds are automatic when the large center hole spindle is used. I suppose these were meant to be used with the 16 rpm talking books that looked like a 45 rpm record. I did take a brief look under the hood and it has a two tube (35W4 & 50C5) amp with dual 4" speakers. Also, the motor mounts are shot. As you can see, the handle is broken off and the case is fairly beat up; but, I think this one is probably worth putting some effort into. Has anyone ever seen or worked on one of these? It should be an interesting project.

The next one is a circa 1960 Motorola stereophonic portable. This one uses a 3-tube (12AX7 and 35C5x2) amp and uses a VM built changer with an astatic 13T stereo powerpoint cartridge. This one is dirty; but, I think it will clean up OK. It's not the big Motorola portable that I'd like to find; but, I think it will do OK.