View Single Post
Old 11-02-2003, 09:33 PM
Up and Coming Bottlehead

Location: Lakeland, smack-dab in the middle between Tampa and Orlando, Florida!
The wood inlay is superb, and the veneer, while cracked on top due to heat, is still intact and gleaming. The wood grain is splendid to look at and is all original...no need to refinish! The bakelite knobs have no chips or cracks, and the brass dials are mint. Even the original grille cloth is complete and snag free.

On the inside, this is what I gazed at on the eBay auction (and what persuaded me to buy her at $175); its innards look almost as good as the day it left the Emerson manufacturing plant! No rust or pitting, nothing chipped or broken, and as far as I know, they're the original tubes that came with it. You can see the frayed edges on the original power cord where it rubbed against the opening on the wooden back (which I also own), so my dad replaced the cord with a new cloth-covered replica for safety purposes.

Ultimately my dad replaced all the old caps with new equivilents, cleaned it up inside and out, tested it numerous times, and sent it back to me a week later. This little mantle radio is by far my favorite, and with its 10' cloth-covered antenna, stills receives most AM stations in my area, even if it's not a superhetrodyne!

Last edited by jt1stcav; 11-02-2003 at 09:39 PM.