View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 12:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Rubber wiring sucks. If I know a set has it I tend to think twice about getting it as rewiring an entire radio is a pain...it's uncommon for a large amount of rubber wiring to be used in a 20s set.

If riders isn't helpful look for a Beitmans covering 20s sets. They were a competitor to riders and one of the only second sources of literature for sets that old.

Some 20s sets the wax paper caps used as coupling, bypass and as B+ filters (lytics weren't used much back then) go bad and others they are fine...I don't know that brand well enough to say which it's likely to be. If you have a good leakage current tester you should check the original caps.
Well the problem is I didn't think this thing was going to be full of rubber wiring, I just thought maybe it was going to be old crumbly cloth wiring which would of been a little bit easier to replace than old rubber wire.

The strange thing about the rubber wire in this set is that it looks almost like the rubber wiring in this set just melted at some point in time from being stored in a hot location like an attic and then the rubber hardened afterwards which caused the wires rubber insulation to "weld" together.

Also the rubber grommets did the same thing, they melted and then hardened up and the rubber insulation from the wires that were going through those grommets became part of the grommets.

As for the capacitors the only capacitors I see in this unit are 3 block capacitors that are mounted to the underside of the tuner chassis 2 of them of which are 2 section caps that have one section soldered to the metal housing of the can and the third one is utilizing both sections.

as for the grid leak resistors, there are 2 of them total, one is a 2 Meg unit that measures around 2.8 Meg, and the other one is an unknown value as the paper label that told the value of the resistor is partially missing, and when I tried to get a reading from that resistor I couldn't get a solid reading from it, it measured anywhere from 500k to 22 Meg but it wouldn't settle on a specific value.

When I looked up this radio online it said this was a Neutrodyne TRF Set, but when I looked at the chassis closer it appears to have IF transformers with trimmer condensers on the top of the chassis which I didn't think that TRF Sets used IF cans or Adjustment trimmers, the way this set is set up it reminds me more of an early Superheterodyne set.

Also what's the purpose of the rotating coil that's attached to the left knob?