View Single Post
Old 02-16-2024, 11:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalphen View Post
Hi to all,
Hi Devicemodder,

i watched your short video, operation looks OK. As you don't show the picture expansion & fade, it's hard to diagnose anything.

Questions:
does just the Windows computer content display disappear & screen stays lit or does the CRT brightness die?

In traditional TV, image expansion & decrease in brightness usually points to a dying EHT rectifier.
In the schematic you posted, EHT rectification seems to be included in the Flyback transformer (modern "split-diode" transformer technology).

To assess if the transformer is at fault (or not) additional data is needed:
- the schematic showing the CRT, its type & hopefully electrode voltage.

Something might be drifting & driving the CRT to cutoff, blanking the display.
How is the Tektronix VDU powered; own power supply, bench PSU,...?

Have test gear: multimeter, HV probe,...?

If possible, a new video showing the "expand & fade" fault,

For anyone interested, the TekTronix TDS-510A digital Scope service manual* (284 pages/4Mb) is on TekWiki:
https://w140.com/tekwiki/images/5/52/070-9704-02.pdf

*didn't see schematics.

TekTronix TDS-510A wiki main page:
https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/TDS510A

Best Regards
jhalphen
Paris/France
The image is expanding in the video, just very slowly as it happens over the course of 5 minutes or so. The screen dims slowly while this happens and eventually shuts off.

I have the service manual for the scope that the tube came from. I'll check the schematics and report back.

The Tektronix display is powered from a 24VDC wall adapter as i don't have the rest of the scope. I just have the VDU.

And the expand is shown in the original video. watch the windows taskbar, and you'll slowly see it going offscreen.

Last edited by Devicemodder; 02-16-2024 at 12:01 PM.